About the journal
British & Irish Botany is a new on-line journal from the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. The journal aims to provide a new forum for publishing papers and articles relating to the vascular plants and charophytes of Britain and Ireland.
British and Irish Botany will welcome contributions in a number of formats, including the following:
- Standard papers - full length formal research papers within the geographical and taxonomic remit of the journal.
- Short papers - these could be wide ranging but might include descriptions of single or a few observations, new discoveries (such as the first recorded occurrence of an alien), interesting observations on distribution/ecology/taxonomy etc.
- Forum articles - short articles that express a view on a particular topic. Intended to stimulate debate, advance ideas, etc.
- Reviews - reviews of botanical topics of interest to readers.
- Species profiles - mini-accounts of British or Irish species following the standard BSBI template for species accounts.
- Botanical biographies - biographies of famous botanists.
- Taxonomic notes - short articles covering difficult species and how to tell them apart. These could be 'commissioned' to cover Data Deficient taxa or distinguishing features not covered in standard works.
- It is intended as of 2019 to publish descriptions of new taxa and new combinations; these will conform to the requirements stated by ICBN.